Welcome all food lovers young and old, novice and profesional. All are welcome. Please feel free to look around and make comments on anything or everything. Comments can keep us humble or expand our heads so feel free to be honest and ask questions.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Wood fired black berry pie.

As a child my family would go to the Oregon coast every summer. One of my favorite memories was picking wild black berries. I still go to the coast but I have my own black berry plant in my yard. I love using black berries in ice cream, jams, jellies and of course pie. I love to make pies and I find that cooking them in my smoker adds that little something you just can't get from an oven. Wood smoke gives every thing that little flavor that makes people say wow.
Black berry pie
Crust:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs sugar
Stir together and then cut in with pasty knife until small crumbs
1 cup shortening
Slowly add 2/3 cup water and stir with fork until you have a soft flakey dough.
Devide dough in half an roll each have out to form crust for pie. Place into pie plate and trim sides. Makes two crust.

Filling:
6 cups black berries
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup corn starch
Mix ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.  Add filling to pie crust.

Topping:
2 cups flour.
1 cup sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
1 stick butter softened
Mix flour, sugar and cinnamon. Cut in butter until small crumbs. Spread over pie filling.
Cook pie in smoker  at 450 degrees for 40 min or until thick, bubbling and golden brown.
Remove from smoker and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment